I am a Postdoctoral researcher at the Oxford Internet Institute (University of Oxford) studying collective memory based on the information seeking patterns of large number of individuals on the web. I also contribute to the HUMANE project and Zooniverse. I am also interested in how our culture/demographics influence the way we interact/behave online and how to use this information to provide better services online (i.e., recommender systems) and learn about societies (i.e., collaboration, discrimination, immigration, etc.).
Thanks to my stay at Yahoo Labs Barcelona during the 4 years of my PhD studies, I gained experience in crawling, collecting, parsing and processing large datasets in distributed computing environments (e.g., MapReduce, Apache Hadoop) as to identify how cultural differences influence the way people use, interact and generate content in social media (i.e., Twitter). To do so, I used tools such as Pig, java, R and python.Outside of the lab, I love hiking, cooking and salsa dancing. I am also a patient runner who dreams to be a marathon runner one day.
- July 7, 2016: Our work "Dynamics and Biases of Online Attention: The Case of Aircraft Crashes" was featured on MIT Technology review .
- June 23-26, 2016: ICCSS (Evanston, IL USA) to present our work on "Collective Remembering: The Case of Aircraft Crashes" on Saturday 25th (title updated from: Dynamics and Biases of Online Attention: The Case of Aircraft Crashes). The presentation is on the session Information and Attention.
- May 17-20, 2016: Assisted ICWSM (Cologne, Germany) and presented our poster on "Collective Remembering" during the Wiki Workshop.
- April 1, 2016: I will be giving a talk for FutureEverything 2016 (Thriving in Uncertainty session) in Manchester about my current research on "Online Collective Memory."
- February 4, 2016: Check out our new pre-print on Dynamics of Disagreement.
- December 1-3, 2015: We will be at #cssws15 in Cologne-Germany for a plenary presentation on Thursday, December 3rd titled "The dynamics of disagreement: A large-scale analysis of the Wikipedia revert network". Also pass by our poster (40) "Quantifying Collective Memory through Online Data" on Wednesday. Details here.
- November 4, 2015: Received the news that my Ph.D thesis was selected a finalist of the BigDataCoe.
- September 1-4, 2015: Our short paper Languages, Twitter and Academic Conferences got accepted to Hypertext 2016.
- May 28, 2015 : Moved to Oxford to work for the Oxford Internet Institute (Oxford University) as a Postdoctoral researcher.
- February 26, 2015 : Finally defended my thesis.
- November 25, 2014 : Submitted my Ph.D dissertation "User Behavior in Microblogs with a Cultural Emphasis". Defense date: Feb 26, 2015.
- November 10-13, 2014 :"Who are my Audiences? A Study of the Evolution of Target Audiences in Microblogs" accepted to SocInfo 2014, in Barcelona, Spain.
- February 15-19, 2014 :"Twitter ain't Without Frontiers: Economic, Social, and Cultural Boundaries in International Communication" accepted to CSCW 2014, in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
- November 25-27: Paper "Follow My Friends This Friday! An Analysis of Human-generated Friendship Recommendations" accepted to SocInfo 2013 in Kyoto-Japan.
- October 2-5, 2013: Going to Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing to expose my research. So very excited to go to the world's largest gathering of women in computing.
- July 06-11, 2013: Paper accepted in ICWSM 2013 "Cultural Dimensions in Twitter: Time, Individualism and Power." (To present at MIT in Boston)
- Paper accepted in cool workshop “Many People Many Eyes" at CHI 2013
- Feb, 2013 : Going to the Doctoral consortium of WSDM 2013 in Rome!
- Carried out eye tracking test in Dubai at Zayed University thanks to Dr. Emad Bataineh (March 2012) -54 locals and middle easterns participated (study coming soon).
- Going to Doha-Qatar to work with Sihem Amer-Yahia during 4 months. (Jan 2012-May 2012) Exited!
- Grant received to go to ESSIR 2011 in Koblenz-Germany.
- "Do All Birds Tweet the Same? Characterizing Twitter Around the World" has been accepted as short paper for CIKM 2011 (20% acceptance) (October 24-28, 2011 Glasgow,UK).
- Web Science Conference in Koblenz, Germany (June 13-17, 2011) for the Poster Session "Microblogging without Borders: Differences and Similarities" (see publications).
- Moved to Yahoo! Research Labs in Barcelona to do research for the Social Media Engagement Group. (October, 2010).